Monday, November 2, 2015

Happy Halloween!

Sister Moore and Sister Crandall
Happy Halloween everyone!

And Happy birthday to Darci and Mom, as well!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable time. We planned a party, and this last week we scrambled to find time to hand out flyers, shop for food, set up, etc. It was way fun, but I sure am glad it's over. I wore a simple Pokemon trainer costume, and everyone was excitedly calling me Satoshi (Ash's Japanese name, for those of you who don't know). Moore Shimai bought some stuff at Daiso and made herself an Eevee costume this last week. It was pretty amazing, and everyone thought it was great that we were a set.

We had a few crazy miracles this last week. On Friday, we felt that we needed to drop Morishita. It was a hard decision, but we both felt good about it. However, dropping someone that you've been meeting with for several months already is a lot harder in the moment. As we were studying about charity with Morishita, I kept thinking that maybe we could just keep meeting with her, maybe just a bit longer. Maybe she needed just a little bit more time. As I bore testimony of how Christ's atonement was the greatest act of charity, Morishita asked us why only Christ is able to atone for us. We thought that she had understood this for a long time, and we feel like this may have been a huge road block for her. I explained how Christ was perfect, how he chose to suffer the penalty of our sins so that we wouldn't have to suffer. You could see the light clicking inside of her. It made sense. The Spirit was so strong, and my Japanese was flowing so well. She said, "I think... I think I need... to empty my mind!" (; ̄ェ ̄)It was at that point, when she clearly understood Christ's atonement, yet still rejected the path that He had set, that it was reaffirmed to me that we needed to drop Morishita. It was heartbreaking. I solemnly told her that as missionaries we needed to find and teach people who would progress towards baptism. I expected her to be angry, or feel betrayed, but she wasn't. It was such a sweet tender mercy. She was so loving. She said she understood. She said that she would continue to study and search for the truth, and if she ever felt she needed to be baptized, she would call us. She exhorted us to go out and find people and baptize them. She also told me that I have to come back and visit her again when I am no longer a missionary. I promised her that I would. I feel so grateful that I can continue to be Morishita's friend. I know that she will find the truth as she continues to study, and when she comes to the conclusion that she needs to be baptized, she will know that no one is compelling her to do so. It will be her own decision.

The very next day, we got a text from Takahama san. Takahama san. Takahama san! She was a sweet old lady that we used to meet with before summer! I loved her like my own grandma! And then she just disappeared. We were pretty sure that she had blocked our number. But she texted us. She said she was coming to the Halloween party! And she did come! I was so happy to see her again! The reunion was so sweet! I felt that the Lord was blessing us for following the prompting we had to drop Morishita. Takahama san is back, and she said that she will probably be able to come to Eikaiwa again! I am so happy!

My heart is so full. I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. I have truly seen His hand this last week. This is His work, and He is preparing the hearts and minds of His people.

As a side note, we went to a planetarium this morning and got to watch a star show with a bunch of fourth graders from Tateyama. It was pretty great. Because of that I have not yet had time to choose my ponderizing scripture for this week. Sorry!

Mami's 'English' House
I love you all! Have a great week!

Love, Crandall Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment