Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Asakusa and SCRAMBLE!

Dearest Family and Friends,

We had temple PDay this week, and I had the opportunity to do the work for one of my ancestors! (Thanks Darci for sending me some names!) I did a Japanese session this time, and it was really interesting, but I think I'll stick with the English one next time.

After the temple, we took a train over to Shibuya and went to Taco Bell! Yum! I think it's the only Taco Bell in Japan. It was the place where all the cool kids hang out. We also walked through the "scramble" several times. スクランブル is one of the most (if not the most) busy intersections in the world pedestrian-wise. The lights would all go red, and then the people would flood the street for about a minute. It was so crazy! We took some pictures, but I don't know if they can adequately describe the experience. It amazed me how there were always so many people there every time the pedestrian signal turned green.

After Taco Bell, we hopped on a train to Asakusa, a tourist temple/shrine place. Because today is the Tanabata (star festival in Japan), I was hoping that there would be a lot of cool stuff going on there, but I don't think anything special was happening. There were lots of people and shops, and it kind of made me think of the Nihon Matsuri in Salt Lake (though much bigger). There were a billion gaijin and several nihonjin wearing yukatas. We walked around and looked at stuff, and then we rode the train two hours back to Kisarazu. It was pretty fun, and I'll probably go back again sometime.

This last week was a little slow for dendou, but we still had a good week. We had exchanges, and I went to Tougane for the day. We planned to visit a referral, but it was starting to get super stormy outside - lots of rain and crazy wind. We decided to go anyway, and by the time we made it, we were pretty wet. It was a good visit though, and we hung out in the referral's genkan (small area just inside the door) for around an hour while the worst of the storm passed.

On Thursday, we met our new mission president and his wife! I hate to break it to all you missionaries (current, returned, future) out there, but I have the cutest mission president and wife in the history of missions. President and Sister Nagano are so kind and loving. They are so excited to serve the Lord and really have a lot of dendou fire. I am so excited to work with them. I know that they will lead this mission and help it become even stronger and more unified. I love them so much already, and I can feel their love for me! <3

I love you all so much! Remember to always keep a prayer in your hearts!

Love, Crandall Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment