Thursday, March 5, 2015

Many are called, few get a Charmander

Minasan, 

O genki desu ka?  

I'm doing great.  My first Pokemon was a Charmander.  I also have a Pikachu and a Magikarp.  This last week I purchased a Bulbasaur at the copy center.  

I'm going to be the Pokemon Master.  

I have a wonderful companion named McCarty Shimai.  She and I are perfect for each other.  She is super spiritual, and I (apparently) am super good at Japanese.  I do most of the talking in our lessons, but I try to give her plenty of opportunities to participate.  McCarty Shimai also went to BYU, and she even lived in Wyview.  Our first night in the MTC, she saw a friend who asked her, "Where were you on Monday? I didn't see you at your party."  And she was like, "Wait, what party?"  and then I was like, "Wait, are you talking about that potato party at the MPB?  My friends hosted that party for me!"  Haha, small world.  =)  Sometimes McCarty Shimai talks in her sleep, and sometimes I talk back.  

Tomorrow, I will be joining the Nihonjin (Japanese Native) district, and then I will be leaving with them and our senpais for Japan on the sixteenth of March.  It is hard to believe that I will be in Japan in less than two weeks!  

If you haven't realized by now, my P Days in the MTC are on Thursdays.  They will be on Mondays once I am in Japan, although that will beSunday nights here.  

It was fun to see a bunch of familiar faces here at the MTC.  I got a picture with Sister Nieznanski, and I saw Elder Brower and Elder Flemming as well.  Also, Elder Braswell from my Japanese class at BYU.  

We currently have one investigator named Ina.  We have been teaching him about the Plan of Salvation, and he committed to be baptized in the first lesson!  He is so sweet, and I felt super cool when he started to invite us in rather than us asking him to let us in.  =3  I was surprised to find out that the Kyoudai who acts out Ina Kyoudai was in my Japanese class at BYU.  =P  I didn't even recognize him, but he recognized me.  

MTC life is really different.  Time is so structured.  We spend hours each day studying, but I feel like I never have enough time to study.  I was reading in PMG, and I saw somewhere that I had written, "a whole hour to study each day!"  Oh, how I wish I had more time.  

You get a new sense of humor at the MTC.  Things that once were not funny are now hilarious.  It's interesting how you don't get tired of being with the same 12 people all day every day.  I love my district!  

We got a bunch of study materials here at the MTC, and each book has it's own name (in the Japanese districts, at least).  My favorite is Charmander, an orange book.  We have a yellow dictionary of grammar named Pikachu, a useless dictionary named Magikarp, and other books named Ninja, Sumo, Katana, Miyagi San, and Samurai.  I purchased a green piece of paper with the most important grammar listed on it.  Its name is Bulbasaur.  

The devotionals have been so great.  They are usually focused on obedience or the Doctrine of Christ.  It is so important to be exactly obedient to all mission rules.  I commit to be faithful to all commandments of the Lord, especially the mission rules, and especially the rule to stay with your companion at all times.  

We watched a video on Sunday titled the Character of Christ.  It was a devotional given by Elder Bednar a few years ago, and it was SO GOOD.  I don't think you can find the video online anywhere, but see if you can.  I know you can find the words, though, but the video is so much better!  For those of you who have yet to enter the MTC, make sure you watch it!  I really want to lose myself in the work.  I want to always turn outward instead of inward.  I want to become fully converted to Christ.  

I love you all!  I hope to hear from you!  

Love,  Crandall Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment